Sunday, September 14, 2008

I Can't Talk To You Right Now...

I may have mentioned in a previous post that my sister and BIL are going on a long overdue vacation at the end of this month. They were married for 20 years this past May and the only vacation they've taken was on their honeymoon...20 YEARS AGO! Even then they went to Wisconsin Dells only to find it mostly closed, not yet open for the season.

So in a couple weeks they're doing it up right. They're flying from here to Las Vegas for four days. Then from there they're going to Anaheim to Disneyland for two days, coming home on the 3rd day. I helped them book the vacation and was more nervous than my sister when I was about to push that final "CONFIRM" button. I don't know how many times I repeated the phrase, "OK, is this right? Is this how you want it, the flights and everything?" She was just ready to hand over the credit card and get it done. Call me crazy, I just like to be a little more cautious before spending over $2200, even when it's not my own.

So today my sister was over and she decided she wanted to see Donny and Marie while she's in Vegas. They're performing together for a few months at The Flamingo and I think my sister saw it as a great opportunity to see her childhood idols live. Just like when she was 18 and my mom would take her and a friend on a weekend trip to Anytown, IL to see them perform while I got to stay at my grandma's house, where I hated it because it was scary, and all they would bring me back was maybe some lousy Lady and the Tramp record and a chance to sneak a peek at some blurry poloroids of Donny Osmond hopping on his tour bus and maybe that's Marie in the background but I can't really tell because there's a fat woman in front of the picture-taker who's wearing a turquoise t-shirt she has carefully cut into shreds and then put about six beads on each strand so as to make a wearable art piece out of her homemade Donny and Marie shirt! But I'm not bitter. (But really! Mom never took me and one of my friends to go see, oh, I don't know, Guns N' Roses at some out of town show where we'd get to stay overnight in a hotel and then go swimming and shopping the next day...BREATHE AMY!)

Sorry. I'm better now. So, Donny and Marie. My sister's a big fan. She's almost 12 years older than me so she's in that Osmond generation. We looked online and found there were tickets available. We knew when we originally booked the trip that we also got tickets for them to go on one of the Hoover Dam tours, per my BIL's request. Before we booked the tickets to D&M we wanted to make sure it wasn't going to conflict w/ the Dam tour. I looked up the itinerary on Expedia and didn't see the Dam tour on there. I call Expedia customer service and pretend to be my sister (with her permission of course!)

Them: Expedia, my name is (insert random foreign name here) how can I help you?
Me: Yes, I'm looking at my itinerary and and I don't see my reservations for a Hoover Dam tour.
Them: OK, let me look at your trip, what is the itinerary number?
Me: (number)
Them: This is the trip to Las Vegas?
Me: Yes.
Them: Are you referring to your Disneyland park hopper passes?
Me: "..." Uh, noooooo. I'm referring to the tour we're going on at the Hoover Dam while we're in Laaaaasssss Vegasssssss. (I said that part kinda slow because apparently she didn't understand.)
Them: I don't see any Hoover Dam activities on your itinerary.
Me: Well I booked them and paid for them so it should be on there. I just need to know what day we're doing it.
Them: Let me look here. It's $90 for two people.
Me: Yeah, that sounds about right.
Them: So I can go ahead and charge that to your credit card.
Me: Great except for I've already paid for it.
Them: It's not on your itinerary.
Me: I can't talk to you anymore. You're really frustrating. I'll have to call you back once I look at my papers and maybe then I'll get someone else to talk to.
Them: Um, ok.

Before this my sister had called my BIL to see if he wanted to go to the D&M show with her. She was going to go either way. Meanwhile I'm in the background heckling like a ghetto queen. "She want to know if you gowen to da show! Duz she buy one ticket or two? Eee-thah way she gowen!" So he's going then. We reserve the tickets and while we're doing that we realize we never did book that Hoover Dam tour in the first place. We had no recollection of picking a day, which tour time they wanted, nothing. It never happened. Oops! Sorry crazy foreign Expedia Customer Service Representative! My bad!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
In no particular order I'm a wife, mother, sister, daughter and general observer of humans.