Monday, August 25, 2008

A mostly great weekend

I had a pretty good weekend. Friday Adam and the kids and I went out to eat. Nowhere exciting, just Steak N' Shake. After that we headed to PetSmart to get some treats for the birds and a mirror which we were told would quiet them down a bit. I haven't really noticed a difference. From there we walked over to The Factory Card Outlet. We bought a bunch of clearance crap which none of it rang up on sale. When the cashier said, "$34.18." Adam and I both said, "Whoa, whoa, whoa. What?" After everything was given the once over again and corrected our total was something like $10.34. Better.

After there we headed to Hy-Vee liquor store to get some alcohol for a get-together we were planning for Saturday night. We had invited over two other couples who live in our building and their kids for Saturday night shenanigans. I made jello-shots. Lots of them. They were great. Except for some of them never set up. Never got hard. Not sure what happened there but we all got our fill of the ones that finished nicely so whatever. I also made non-alcoholic ones for the kids. Since I made the adult shots grape and cherry I had Emily pick out jell-o for the kids that wasn't even close to purple or red. She picked blue and green. The kids were all calling them jell-o shots too so let's hope they don't head back to school talking of weekend parties, card games and jell-o shots.

So the party was a lot of fun. Got to know some of our neighbors better. It's nice to have people close to us that are the same age with kids close to the same age. Lets just say that many, many shots were done, mostly by the men, at least the hard stuff. If the office doesn't call on Monday about the noise we all made then it was a total success, lol. We had to end the night when Adam started dozing off on the couch. I think most of us were pretty tired anyway. Well, except for a couple guys that I heard were up till the wee hours of the morning.

With the party came three extra kids and three times the mess. It wasn't a big deal, Adam and I pretty much expected it especially with the ginormous amount of toys that Blake and Emily have. The cool part of that, though was that at one point while I was clearing crap off the kitchen table and such the rest of the adults were in Blake's room tossing toys into the toy box. His room was such a mess, omg. There wasn't a piece of floor to be found. It's mostly organized now so whoohoo for party guests who clean up.

Sunday Adam, Emily and myself all slept in while Blake found mischief in the living room. I woke up at 9:30 and found him cutting up an old magazine with a pair of scissors. Also there was a giant sharp knife on the couch. Nice. Adam woke up not long after that and made breakfast for everyone. As we were clearing off the table Emily commented on her loose tooth. She's got about 5 or 6 loose ones but one on the bottom that's REALLY loose and the adult tooth is half-way up behind it. I saw her wiggle it and it was ready to GO! I told her it needed to come out RIGHT NOW. I bribed her with a new pair of earrings from the mall if she could get it out before we left. She grabbed a paper towel and went to work. After about 5 minutes I said, "Let me see it." I took the paper towel and it pulled down toward her lip. She moaned a little bit and started to jerk away and just as she did off it popped. I was like, "Wait, wait!" I didn't want her to swallow it or something. I'm not into toilet tooth hunting. So Emily got three new pairs of earrings at the mall only because the ones she liked (shaped like ice cream cones) came in a set of three. We also got Em some new ballet slippers and tap shoes since she's outgrown hers over the summer. Thank god for Payless BOGO sales because that saved me about $10. After some lunch we stopped in Spencers where Adam bought a winter face mask (you know the knit kind that a lot of your gas station robbers like to wear) This one has a red skull face on it. Very Adam. I'm sure he's counting down the days until he can go out and wear it at 3am while plowing snow. From there we let the kids play in the play area a bit and then it was off to Wal-Mart for groceries.

At Wal-Mart we bought some bacon and cheddar black angus beef patties and sweet corn to have for dinner. OMG! It was one of the better dinners we've ever had. The burgers were so fabulous and the corn. Wow. So good. In fact I'm going back when I get off to buy more for dinner Monday night. Mmmmmmm. In fact I may just buy a few extra ears and make them for Blakey and me for lunch. This is what Emily said about the corn at dinner after I said the corn was awesome. "It's not just awesome. It's fantastic."

I hope you all had a great weekend too!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
In no particular order I'm a wife, mother, sister, daughter and general observer of humans.