Saturday, August 16, 2008

I wanna be a part of it...FIRST DAY SECOND GRAAAAAAAADE!!!!

Well on Wednesday my little girl started 2nd grade. I really can't believe it. I can't believe how time has gone by. 2nd grade. She even rides the bus. Like. The bus. Like, I walk her down to the end of the apartment parking lot and she gets on a bus. With other kids and everything. I don't drive her. This is the first time since preschool that I haven't taken my little girl to school myself. Hmph. So there ya go then. There SHE goes then. How weird.

One of the coolest parts is that during this whole process I've gotten to know another mom who lives in our building downstairs. She has a 1st grader and a little guy that will start Kindergarten next year, so her kids are close to my kid's ages. Emily and the little girl ride the bus together and sit together and do bus-like things, you know how it goes. I'm thinking about asking her if she wants to set up some kind of schedule so maybe we can watch each other's kids so we can go workout. She keeps mentioning getting the boys together but I don't think she understands how crazy Blakey is. I fear she'll find out the hard way and never speak to me again. In fact, I can see Blake getting on her last nerve and then I hear a knock at the door. When I answer it all I find is Blake in a basket with a note around his neck.

Emily had a little drama on the first day that I ended up e-mailing her teacher about. Em had gone to lunch with her class. They all sit together in the "cafeteria". That's how Emily says it. She says, "They call it a (quote-fingers) CAF-UH-TEER-EE-YUH." (end quote fingers) Not sure why she says it that way. Maybe because this is the first school she's gone to where they have a designated room specifically for eating. At her preschool and her last school they ate in the gym. At EM Christian School they ate in their classroom at their desks. I suppose an entire room used simply for eating may seem silly after that. But I digress.

So Emily's eating and the rest of her class finishes but she's not done yet. They all line up (minus Emily) and some teacher (not her own) takes the class out to recess. Emily finishes eating and now she has no idea where to go. She asks a (quote fingers) caf-uh-teer-ee-yuh (end quote fingers) worker who simply puts her out in the hall. She wanders off and finds a teacher who simply points her to what sounds like a random direction. Emily can't find her class. She finds another teacher who then actually TAKES Emily to find her class. Apparently this teacher wasn't even sure where to FIND the kids outside and it took them a while. By the time they found the rest of the class, recess was almost over. Em's teacher was nice, however and set Emily up with a lunch buddy the next day so she would know where to go. She also promised to talk to the lunchroom aides to ensure it doesn't happen again and to let them know there are new students who don't always know where to go. The rest of the week (all 2 days of it) went off without a hitch so it must have worked.

On Thursday I was finally starting to feel better. I was actually able to be up and about and cleaned up the apartment and such. Friday I still had a slight pain in my side that is kinda weird. It's like the pain won't let me totally fill my lungs up with air so sneezing and yawning are practically out of the question. It does seem a little better now (Saturday morning) so hopefully in a couple days I'll be back to 100%.

Today my plans are to go buy a couple pairs of jammies. I found some cute v-neck tshirt nightgowns at a store in town so I'm gonna get a couple of those. I'm also heading to Bed, Bath and Beyond to buy this http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=112700&RN=31 for our bedroom. I love it. I've been looking for something brown/light blue or brown/aqua for our bedroom that wasn't too dark. Our room is so dark and has such poor lighting that I wanted to brighten it up without girl-ing it out.

Other than that I have no definate weekend plans. I have to work again tonight but that's about it. Hope everyone has a good one!


Cliff Huxtable: Son, when we went to the store, you picked up that shirt and
said, "Dad. I gotta have this shirt for the first day of school." And I looked
at the price of it, and I said, "This is very expensive for a sweatshirt.". Then
I looked in those brown eyes of yours and I said, "Well, my son wants it , and
I'll buy it for him." Now if fashion dictates that you cut those sleeves off,
make some alterations, that's fine with me. But somehow, some way, in this
lifetime, you're going to wear those sleeves.

2 comments:

LivingLifeBackwards said...

Oh I love the bedding. Very nice! I hate ours I want to change it so bad.

AmyWaWa said...

Thanks. It ended up a little thinner than I would have liked and the fitted sheet fits kinda weird but I bought some of those sheet straps to hold it onto the mattress on the underside and Adam and I have never been the type to add more blankets and stuff to our bed, even in the winter so it's all good. I really like how it looks now that I have it on. Our furniture is very dark wood so it compliments it nicely.

About Me

My photo
In no particular order I'm a wife, mother, sister, daughter and general observer of humans.