Saturday, March 14, 2009

Tooodayyyy is Friiiidayyyyyy...

Did any of your children sing that song in school? Or maybe you yourself did? Emily sang that song in preschool. It goes through the days of the week and mentions a meal that was had on that day. The only one I remember FOR SURE is "Wednesday soooo-uuuuup!" I think Monday was chicken. Anyway, there's something about Friday that every time the word is mentioned I always seem to find my self singing, "Today is Friiiii-dayyyyyyyy." I'm not really sure why.

Anyway, as is Friday tradition for The Warren's it was "run errands, go out to eat and buy groceries" day. We started the day with breakfast at Maid Rite diner, which is very close to our house. We managed to all eat for under $20, which was awesome. From there we headed across the river to get haircuts for me and Blake. I have a girl that I go to in the mall but we didn't want to pay mall prices for our 4 year-old's haircut so we took him to Great Clips. The girl did a good job and kinda evened up the cut he had. I like Blake's hair to be buzzed and Adam likes it more grown-out so it can be parted. Since Adam's been laid off for the winter I've let him take over Blake's haircuts and do what he wants. He knows that as soon as he goes back to work it will be back to me buzzing Blake's hair off out on the deck as usual so I'm letting him have his way...for now. I think Adam and I came to a pretty good compromise on his hair today at the salon and the little guy looks so handsome.

After Blake's haircut we headed to the mall so I could get mine cut. I lucked out a few years ago when I found this girl. I had been going to a more "upscale" salon at the mall and having the same girl cut my hair for a while. Then she went and effed it all up when I had it colored. She effed it up so bad and I hated it so much that I actually wrote to the corporate headquarters and they ended up sending me a check for reimbursement. I didn't go into a salon for almost a year after that. I'm a one-stylist kinda gal and so just going anywhere and having anyone cut my hair will not do. When I moved out on my own I went from having the girl that always cut my mom's hair to having to find my own stylist. I became friends with a girl that was about to graduate from La James as a stylist. She was plucked right from school to a very trendy and very expensive salon based on how awesome she did in school. She was able to cut hair for free because they wanted to build up her clientele. She was fantastic at her job and only once did someone else touch my hair for about 4 years after that. Even then it was a friend of hers (who really butchered my hair, btw) and I went to him because I couldn't find her. (She had to quit the fab job at the hoity-toity salon because they wouldn't work around her pregnancy) As is my luck she stopped by the store I was managing about a week after I got the butcher job to let me know where she was working. She was fixed my hair later that week.

The last time she touched my hair was on my wedding day and she was planning on getting married the next weekend. After that she and her husband moved out of state and I was left to find someone else.

I got a recommendation from a friend who was working at a salon. That girl cut my hair for the next few years and that's when I moved and happened upon the girl at the mall who doesn't know how to color hair. So after a year of no haircuts I couldn't stand it anymore. I sauntered into the first place I strolled by in the mall, "MasterCuts". I got the next available stylist and I explained to her, as I do to all new stylists, that my hair is very fine and stick straight so it has to be texturized A LOT. She said, "that's cool. That's exactly how my hair is." She cut it so perfect I've only gone somewhere else once, and that was a couple months ago.

I was so busy working every shift at work and everything that when I finally had a night off to take Emily for a haircut I decided to have them cut mine too. I didn't go to my regular place, we went somewhere just down the road. Immediately after I said I wanted a cut too a little voice in my head said, "No! Take it back! Tell them you changed your mind!" But I didn't and the girl didn't cut my hair right AT ALL. It wasn't bad but it didn't work for me because of how naughty my hair always is.

Today when I shamefully walked into my MasterCuts I had to own up to what I did. "No problem." My girl said. "It looks like an easy fix." Whew. She cut it and even as I sat there with a wet head I could already tell it was better looking. It felt better. I felt better AND I learned a lesson.

After our haircuts we headed to the dollar store where I had to buy a bunch of black frames for a big picture hanging extravaganza I'm planning next week. Then we headed next door to Wal-Mart for groceries where I forgot 10 things, 7 of them being black 8x10 frames that they didn't have at the dollar store. I'll probably pick those up on my way home from work in the morning.

Other than our normal busy Friday the rest of the weekend is pretty free for me. On Saturday Emily has her last rehearsal before her big performance on Monday morning with the Quad City Ballet. In case I haven't mentioned it she, along with other girls from the museum dance classes, are playing the part of "the river" in Peter and the Wolf, although they look more like a lake to me. Adam's band is playing a show Saturday night as a benefit for MDA. The kids are staying at my sister's so I'm being held responsible for getting myself up and together for work that night. I hate that. I always end up over sleeping or something. I can get myself up and going when I work 1st shift, but there's something about 3rd shift that makes me unable to be responsible for myself. Not sure what that is.

In closing I'd like to give a shout-out to my hubby who found himself in the unusual spot of being the only apartment building husband not in trouble for something he did Thursday night. WTG Adam! Looks like there's a little more room in the dog house tonight for the other husbands. Woot!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
In no particular order I'm a wife, mother, sister, daughter and general observer of humans.