Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Buggin' Out

Well the kids and I didn't make it to the museum on Tuesday. After my long night listening to the lush next door, and the early hour I had to get up to go to a meeting at work, I opted for a nap in the afternoon. After that I did a little housework and laid Blake down for a nap. Once he fell asleep I played a few board games with Emily, which was a lot of fun. We played a few rounds of Clue Jr., which I won (yay for me!) Once Blake got up I started dinner and had a brainstorm. Let's catch lightening bugs! So I turned the oven down on my meatloaf and au gratin potatoes, loaded the kids in the car and we headed to Dollar General to buy bug houses. We got home, I cranked the oven back up to get the food going again and we ate. Well, it was mostly Emily and I eating, Blake was on a no food diet, apparently.

After dinner it was getting to be dusk so we headed outside with our bug houses, which also came with some tools to catch the bugs. Blake, unfortunately, but not suprisingly, had poked a hole in his bug house before we even got outside. (Check out Blake's Spiderman underoos in this pic!)

Both of the kids were a little afraid at first to even come near the bugs. That changed when Emily caught her first one. She was addicted after that. Blake on the other hand never really changed his feelings about the bugs. They were great to look at in the bug house, not so great when they're flying near his head, lol.

Emily was even catching some and putting them in Blake's bug house so he wouldn't feel left out. Even a neighbor kid got in on the action. At one point Blake held up his house to me and said, "Mama, look, they're getting out." I said, "Yeah, and one is on the handle crawling towards your hand." (which it was) Blake looked, screamed like a girl and threw the bug house. Who's the man now??? I guess I won't be calling on Blake anytime soon to kill spiders in the house. After that we came inside, the kids took a quick bath to wash off the bug spray and it was off to bed. A pretty fun evening.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
In no particular order I'm a wife, mother, sister, daughter and general observer of humans.