Sunday, February 15, 2009

V-Day

This Valentine's Day marked the 10 year anniversary of my engagement to Adam. Ten years ago yesterday, at midnight, Adam got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. Our story goes like this...

My goddaughter was getting baptized on Valentine's Day here in the Quad Cities. At the time Adam and I lived an hour away. Adam had to work the night before V. Day but had the next day off, which come to think of it seems quite amazing because he cooked at Lonestar Steak House. Seems they would be pretty busy for V. Day, but what do I know. Anywho, Adam didn't have a license at that time so he usually took the bus to work and I picked him up at night. I think I picked him up somewhere around 11:30 or so that night and when we came home I was running around trying to get our stuff together because we were leaving that night to spend the night at my friend's house (mom to my goddaughter).

Adam was somewhat quiet but I didn't pay much mind to it. At midnight his alarm went off next to his bed. I remember saying out loud, "What the heck is that? Why is your alarm going off?" Adam went in the bedroom, turned it off and then sat me down on the side of the couch. He got down on one knee and everything he said is a total blur to me. I know he said something along the lines of, "I'm a total asshole, will you marry me anyway?" I think he thought that would be his ticket out of any trouble he might get into for the next 60 years. Nice try buddy. Anyway, I said yes and the rest, as they say, is history.

The next day, V. Day was a little crazy with the baptism and I had to work a half a day so we had to drive all the way back home for a few hours, then all the way back to the QC to go out with some friends. I didn't tell my family that day that Adam had proposed. I saved it for Monday the 15th. I tried to call my mom in the morning and she didn't answer. Tried again a couple hours later and reached her. I asked her where she was and she sounded tired and she breathed a heavy sigh and talked about taking a friend or neighbor to a ceramic shop because they wanted to start doing ceramics and she kinda droned on and on like it was a real hassle for her to have done that. When she finished I said, "Well. Guess what?" "What?" "Adam asked me to marry him." Oh my gosh! Then she was all giggles and excitement. She started talking a mile a minute and then she asked me where Adam was. "At home." I think she pretty much just hung up on me after that and called Adam. I have no idea what their conversation consisted of but soon after Adam called me and said, "I don't think I've ever heard your momma so excited." This May will mark our 9th wedding anniversary.

Since I had to work this weekend Adam and I didn't get to do anything particularly special for Valentine's day, but I did get to take him out to breakfast this morning sans kiddos. On Friday we went our separate ways and did a little shopping for each other and the kids. I got Adam two tickets for us to see a play about Johnny Cash, one of his idols. We go next month. I also got him some other random stuff, which he thought was his actual presents. T-shirt, body wash, shaving cream, you know, real exciting stuff. I had stuck the tickets in the card and made him open it last. I'm such a sneak!

Adam got me an Isabel Bloom, Victoria's Secret perfume, and some earrings. This afternoon we went shopping at Target and he let me get an iPod. Something I had been wanting for a while. I had a ridiculously hard time picking a colour but settled on purple. I really wanted blue, but they were out of stock. The blue iPod is a little more teal than blue and I thought it was a really cool colour. When I couldn't get blue I had it narrowed down to orange, green, purple or black. I may still go to the other Target in town and see if they have a blue one in stock and exchange it. I also got a $15 Target gift card with my purchase, so that rocks.

How did each of you spend V. Day?

No comments:

About Me

My photo
In no particular order I'm a wife, mother, sister, daughter and general observer of humans.